From: Jim Brown via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 13:03
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Jim Brown
Subject: Re: Stus-List 29-2 stuffing box Now Stuffing Material Damage

Returning to the dock, I ran the prop in reverse and heard a small “thud” from
below. I discovered that the prop shaft had pulled out of the coupling and
pulled back through the stuffing box allowing sea water to enter. We managed to
push the shaft back through the stuffing box and back into the coupling, thus
stopping the water flow. The boat had been pulled about a month before and the
stuffing box removed, the flex hose replaced and all reinstalled with new
stuffing, etc. The mechanic that had done the work suggested that pulling the
shaft out of the box and then pushing it back in should not have damaged the
stuffing material and, therefore, the boat doesn’t necessarily need to be
pulled (again) to correct what caused the shaft to pull out. We have the older
set screw type coupling, not the split coupling. The set screw appears damaged
where is goes into the shaft dimple and the key is missing – hopefully not lost
in the shaft tube.
I’m a little concerned about possible stuffing damage and wondering if any
“listers” have any advice. As always, this site is very informative and
enjoyable over all the years. Thanks very much.

Jim Brown
“Flash Over”
1981 C&C 34
Vancouver