And just when my boat insurance premiums were starting to go down ...

The boat slaughter is going to be in places like the Keys, Biscayne Bay and
West Palm Beach, where lots of boats are hanging on moorings or even just
anchors. There just aren’t that many places to hide. The few hurricane holes
are so crowded that one loose boat can play havoc.

Other places, like Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton and North Miami, most boats are
kept at private docks behind homes. Those offer pretty good to excellent
protection.

Where I am, over on the west coast, there are many free anchorages where boats
are just hanging on anchors. Even if we just get the edge of Irma, as
predicted, the shorelines will be cluttered with sailboats, many of them
junkers that near-homeless people were living on.

Luckily, my marina in Gulfport, Fl., is a hurricane hole.

Jack Brennan
Former C&C 25
Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30
Tierra Verde, Fl. (In the cone of danger, just barely.)