From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Dennis C.
via CnC-List
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2017 20:13
To: CnClist <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dennis C. <capt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List GPS, Chart Plodders and Technology when there is none

Wow!  A wide range of answers in this thread.

I have a Garmin 128 (text only display) below at the navstation, a 5 inch
charplotter at the helm.  The two are connected to a switch which feeds the
instruments, autosteerer and VHF (with AIS receive capability).  One of the
units is always "active".

I keep a Garmin 76 handheld in the navstation with fresh batteries in a plastic
bag.  Do not store batteries in the GPS.

I have a Samsung tablet with OpenCPN also for back up.  I have Navionics USA on
my iPhone.

I have the latest edition of MapTech's regional chartkit.  Great paper chart
compilation if available for your region.

If I was budget limited, I'd probably go with the tablet with OpenCPN or
Navionics or a used Garmin 182 and a chartkit.

In my opinion, paper charts are great if you can plot your position from and
old text only GPS rapidly.  Otherwise a chartplotter is the way to go.

There are reasonable priced GPS units with few features available.  There are
lots of used ones on eBay.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Sep 16, 2017 9:30 PM, "Chris Hobson via CnC-List"
We’re in Vancouver BC, Georgia Straight can get foggy, tides come and go and
we’re new at this. We have no GPS on our new to us 1981 C&C 30 and very little
in the way of navigation other than dead reckoning, basic familiarity with the
area and a compass at the helm. It’s fun because it’s like we just purchased a
1981 C&C and technology isn’t around yet. However every sail is a guessing game
and I’d like to hear what others use for costal navigation. Whether it’s real
tangible maps, a GPS system you swear by or an iPad with some software curious
to hear what other C&C owners use to get find their way.

Chris Hobson
S/V Going
1980 C&C MKI
Hull 615