> On Sep 18, 2017, at 2:00 PM, David Castor via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Mostly lurk on this list since I bought a Sabre instead of C&C.

We forgive you…   :^)   Actually, my slip neighbor has a Sabre 36, and it’s a
beautiful boat.  I may go that way someday, too.

> I live in Port Angeles, WA. Just wanted to say that I would make radar a high
> priority in these waters.  Virtually any boat venturing into the Strait of
> Juan de Fuca has radar, down to the 20 foot fishing boats.

I absolutely agree about radar, especially with all the large amount of vessel
traffic and the chance for fog.  But radar will cost more than triple the
amount you’ll pay for a smallish plotter, by the time you figure in the dome,
the mount and the installation.  That’s what I suggested getting a
radar-capable plotter first, then add things as you go.

I also agree with Rick’s suggestion about AIS; but you need to remember that
not all vessels have AIS transponders.  I’m seeing far more of it on
recreational vessels in my area; but there are still many commercial vessels
under 300 tons that aren’t required to carry it, and don’t.  Radar will still
see those vessels.

In the end, all of the toys will give you more and more info; sometimes more
than you can keep track of, and the plotter just becomes a big video game.
Don’t forget to look outside the boat…   :^)

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis