Hi all,

Thanks so much for everyone's replies about the C&C mkii I'm considering.
it's really helpful!!

I went and took a second look at her today. This time the broker shared a
survey done in 2014 by the 3rd owner which he didn't mention during my
first visit.   This C&C 30 mkii is #21 built in 1987.

Overall the boat was rated as "above average" condition when surveyed on
the hard in 2014. The only sign of high moisture readings was in the cover
of the hatches in cockpit and the surveyor confirmed what the collective
list said about the keel - just cosmetic joint separation, not structural,
"minor cracking in the fairing compound". I could hear some definite
"crackling" sound when walking on the port side deck, but not near the mast
or upper deck or anywhere else on the deck.

Apparently the rudder had an 18" crack and high moisture ratings and the
previous owner claims it was fixed. Estimated fair market value was 34k at
the time.

other main recommendation was to add a power bilge blower and to inspect
chain plates after removing fastened panels. Wondering how much of a PITA
this would be?

Since 2014, the owner has new main and headsail (2015) and some other
updates mentioned in the survey (replacing waste hose that was apparently
rated for fuel but not waste, noting a distinct "odor" from the waste
system during the survey).

Speaking of odors, the boat smelled very badly in the cabin and it appears
to be due to nasty yellowish/greenish standing water about 6"+ in the
bilge.

The boat has been on the hard all year due in part to the elevated water
levels on Lake Ontario but still has standing water in the bilge. Thoughts
on if this is a red flag?

It seems every boat I've looked at that is 25+ years old has some sort of
"old boat smell." Need to fix that before the wife and kids take a look. :)
Is "old boat smell" curable?

I've lined up a good surveyor and plan to run the survey by him to discuss
next steps. Perhaps a "partial" survey to address the findings from the
previous one, or just do a complete new one? I'd welcome opinions on this
point.

Thanks again,

Lisle