From: Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 8, 2017 20:41
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Matthew L. Wolford<mailto:wolf...@erie.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List C&C 35-3 Rudder Drain Holes

Neil:

    I think I may have commented on this before, but just in case: when I
bought my boat, we noted that the moisture meter readings for the rudder were
elevated (along with much of the core).  Rather than do a total re-build, my
repair guy -- who knows as much about West System as the Gougeon brothers and
was a close friend of theirs before they died -- repaired my rudder the same
way he had done with some other C&Cs.  First, he draws a grid on one side of
the rudder with parallel lines about one inch apart and intersecting parallel
lines about one inch apart.  He then drills holes (about 3/8” or so) on the
intersecting points.  Then he places the rudder into a “casket,” which is a
contraption that he made for drying out rudders.  It’s basically a plywood box
to which he attaches a heater.  He heats the interior space of the box to about
200 degrees F for several weeks, and any water inside the rudder finds it way
out through the holes.  After the rudder is sufficiently baked, he then fills
the holes with West System (I’m sure he uses a mixture of some sort, either
colloidal silica or the cotton “wetting” additive).  When the holes are filled,
the surface is smoothed out, and several coats of Interprotect are applied on
the entire rudder.  He also checks the area where the rudder post enters the
rudder to make sure it’s not easy for water to get in.  On my boat, this part
of the rudder is normally out of the water, so this is not a huge issue.

    He did this repair five or more years ago, and as far as I know the rudder
is solid and dry.

    Matt