A quick correction to my email below: the Raymarine ACU-200 has a maximum
continuous current rating of 15 amps.

— Fred

Fred Street -- Minneapolis

> On Oct 28, 2017, at 1:51 PM, Frederick G Street via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Ken!  As far as the Octopus vs the Simrad drive, the 1012LAM7 has a
> slightly shorter stroke than the Simrad (178mm vs. 200mm).  Depending on the
> geometry of your tiller arm arrangement, it may or may not work without a
> little modification.  As far as the electrical requirements, the Simrad is
> rated at 3.3-5 amps (10 amps peak), the Octopus is rated at 4-6A (19 amps
> peak).  And the Simrad has a peak thrust rating of 350kg and the Octopus has
> a peak rating of 400kg.  They’re very similar in most respects.
>
> Defender has the 1012LAM7 for $1499.99.  Occasionally you can find one for
> less elsewhere online.
>
> As far as the Raymarine goes, here are some answers:
>
> 1.  p70 — correct; and yes, you can have more than one in a system
> 2.  EV-1 heading sensor — correct
> 3.  ACU-400 — a little bit of a gray area here.  Typically I like to be a bit
> conservative when it comes to autopilot systems.  The max current rating on
> the ACU-200 is 15 amps, and the stated maximum for the Octopus is 19 amps;
> but I think you’d be REALLY hard-pressed to see those kinds of loads
> typically on a boat the size of yours.  At worst, you’d pop the fuse in the
> ACU and need to replace it.  I sold an Octopus/ACU-200 system to Richard Bush
> on the list, and I haven’t heard of any issues at all with his system.
> Granted, he’s river-sailing, and not going offshore into heavy storms.  But
> for all coastal sailing and most bluewater, the ACU-200 will work fine with
> the 1012LAM7; I really doubt you’re going to go over the peak rating of the
> ACU-200.   [Let the flame wars commence…]
>
> — Fred
>

> Fred Street -- Minneapolis
> S/V Oceanis (1979 C&C Landfall 38) -- on the hard in Bayfield, WI   :^(

The bills have started coming in for the year 2018 and have gone up again.
October will be our fund raising month.  Please consider sending a small
contribution to help keep this list running.  Use PayPal to send contribution
--   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray

All contributions are greatly appreciated!