You'll have the usual finish work to consider when you get the shelf
removed.  What will yo do with the metal tube?  If you remove the tube you
will be left with a hole in the ceiling and a hole in the counter.  If you
leave the tube you will have exposed holes in the tube where screws were
used to anchor the shelf.  These holes in the tube will need dressed or
decorated.  What about the wood on the remaining cabinets?   It is likely
that a silhouette of the removed shelf will remain.  You'll also have screw
holes in the wood which will need attention.  None of these asthetic
details are show stoppers just things you may not have considered.  Good
luck.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+