I have a 1976 U.S. Bicentennial dollar coin under my mast.  It is heads up and
stuck in place with a little sealant.  I have a short write up on my New Mast
Step page which includes a tiny bit of Greek mythology.

http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/MastStep
<http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/search/label/MastStep>

-
Paul E.