Difficulties in finding enough crew to fly my masthead kite (~7-8) have me
thinking of adding a sprit with asym kite to make it possible to be competitive
in the spin fleet with less crew (~ 4-6). I only had   6 for our last race and
the wind was 10-15 so we decided to forego the kite and took a 1st, 2nd and 3rd
(only 3 boats competed). This weekend I am down to only 4 so probably won't
compete, giving up a solid 2nd with a poss 1st if my crew were not in the BVI,
etc. My thoughts are solely to have the option to use the asym if I don't have
enough crew to do the symm Masthead kite so I would likely keep the asym size
such that my rating is not changed. Thoughts on this plan from the list would
be appreciated.
I do realize that this is a complicated issue and I may have to get some expert
advice on sprit length, asym sail size/shape not to mention figuring out how to
fly it but I am starting with the collective list wisdom.
Thanks,
Charlie Nelson
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb
(Rob Ball design)