Here's a good article with a wee bowline
mentioned, from the professor himself, Mr. Brion Toss.

http://www.briontoss.com/education/archive/miscsept02.htm

Also, beware of the difference between a
reduction of strength by X5 vs.retention of
strength... no big deal if it's 50% but a value
of 60% is a remarkable difference.

For the halyard, I put in an eye splice new and
when it is time to end-for-end the shackle gets
the ol' fisherman bend ('cause that is what I know it as) with a seized tail.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1