Fairly good analysis, Matthew

As a 30 year regulatory professional, terminology is critical.

Documented and registered are two entirely different concepts.

USCG "documentation" is a very formal thing.  It is analogous to placing
the mortgage for your house with a clerk of court.  All liens, actions,
ownership changes, etc. are documented through the USCG.  If you haven't
already, order an abstract of title from the USCG Documentation Center.
The abstract will show every legal action taken against the vessel since it
was documented.

Touche's abstract shows five owners, a lien for $62,400, and a couple other
things.  Interesting history.

On the other hand, state "registration" is often a money grab by most
states.  Usually it's required for any powered vessel over 16 feet (give or
take).  As Matthew said, many states require a decal to show that the
periodic registration fees have been paid.  Displaying a fee decal does not
conflict with the federal numbering regulations.  In Louisiana, there is no
exemption for documented vessels to forego the display of the state
registration numbers.  However, my impression is that enforcement of the
requirement is "soft".  I have a laminated placard that I can place in a
window that shows the Louisiana registration number.  I keep the current
fee decal in the boat's log.  No issue so far.

As a further note, when I registered Touche' with Louisiana, Touche's
pre-1972 HIN did not conform to the 12 digit format so they issued a new
vessel hull identification number.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

On Feb 7, 2018 9:41 AM, "Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List" <