They even have phone support if you can't find the answer to a question somewhere on their very complete website, or need some help interpreting anything.

I think you surrender your state title when applying for documentation. Even if you didn't, I know for certain that the state title becomes null and void when a vessel is documented. The Federal Documentation "is" your title.

Bill Bina

On 2/8/2018 9:52 AM, Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List wrote:
Interesting question, but I’m not ready to go another round.
I’m surprised the Feds would have proceeded to document a boat that is State titled.  My guess is that the Federal statute says something about this (like State title being nullified upon issuance of federal documentation), but who knows.  Perhaps someone on this list does.
*From:* Dreuge via CnC-List <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, February 08, 2018 8:50 AM
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com <mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
*Cc:* Dreuge <mailto:dre...@gmail.com>
*Subject:* Stus-List Federal v. State: both state title and CoD question
Hi,
I have both a state title and USCG certificate of documentation.  This is only because I registered the vessel with the state first, but if I documented first, I would not have a state title. Let’s say I foolishly sign over my state title to one person while at the same time I sign over my USCG CoD to another person.  Who has legal rights to take the vessel.   I’m guessing the one with federal documentation, but I’m also thinking that the one who pays the state registration and taxes first may have an edge, at least with local authorities, at getting possession (which as the saying goes is 9/10 of the law).

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose