A question for your collective wisdom:
I am scoping out upgrading my stock 55A alternator to a 100A Balmar, and
related upgrades to the controls. I had a very productive discussion with Rod
Collins at Compass Marine (mainesail), and we worked out the details.
Unfortunately he's booked out through the spring, so this job will wait until
next winter.
So thinking then about keeping the batteries charged, and the fridge running on
our long summer cruise - where we may go for weeks without access to shore
power, I got wondering about using a portable generator to charge the batteries
- as an alternative to many hours of running the diesel. There are a couple of
Hondas that might do the trick 2000 Watt, weighing 47#, 1000 Watt weighing 29#.
Have any of you tried this? What could (would) go wrong if I plugged this
generator into my inverter, to charge the batteries?
Regards,
Damian
1986 Sabre 38 FreefallPreviously 1984 C&C 34 GhostBass Harbor, Maine