I have a total of 6 of the old style aluminum frame windows on my two boat, so
I made sure I saved the “recipe” for resealing the portlights for future
reference.

Rule 1: never touch the aluminum frame, you will create a leak

Between the frame and the window you will need a seal. In 2016 the list
recommended the following:

Frost King V25BK EPDM weatherstripping

M-D Building Products 01025 D Profile Auto and Marine Weatherstripping

The MD Building Products stuff is available at Home Depot or Lowes, and a 25
foot long box is pretty cheap – maybe $10.

For the window panels I went to a local shop that repairs storm doors and had
them use an old window panel as s template to make new windows. I used ¼” cast
plexi in a fairly dark color (bronze?) because they had several sheets in stock
already and would not need to order a full sheet for a darker color.

The window goes on top of the weatherstripping seal, and is held in place by a
rubber strip called a spline. Spline material is available at any glass shop
that fixes storm doors and/or storm windows. I took a 6” snippet of old spline
to a local shop and bought 10 or 12 feet for less than a dollar a foot last
time I needed some. I also found it on EBay but would have needed to buy a 100
foot roll. Cheap but who need a 3 lifetime supply of window spline?

When installing the seal and the spline, start at the top center of the frame
with a smooth square cut end. Go around the frame making sure you get into the
corners and making sure you do not stretch the material. I use a tongue
depresser/popsickle stick to push the spline into the slot between plexi and
frame – pushing “back” in the direction you are coming from to help ensure not
stretching the material. When you get back to the top center of the frame make
a tight joint and you should never have a leak. As the spline ages and oxidizes
it will shrink and eventually pull out  of the corners, and you can just
replace the spline.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC