Bruce, if you're going to all that work, I would varnish. No oil is going
to last and it leaves the veneer subject to water intrusion, which will
stain the teak.

First, I'd try to clean the old lemon oil off with alcohol, then sand with
180 grip paper, apply a sealer coat (I like Pettit Clear Sealer), allow
that to dry, then apply a coat of Epiphanes Wood Finish Gloss (bring money)
for it's durability and UV resisting properties, Then brush on a coat of
Epiphanes Rubbed Effect varnish, which is a really forgiving finish that
gives off a beautiful lustre.
You can varnish over most teak oils.
Peregrine was done that way before I got her and in the five years I had
her the finish still looked terrific. The only maintenance was a wipe-down
with vinegar and water every now and then.

Andy
Formerly: C&C 40
Peregrine

Now: Baltic 47
Masquerade

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Bruce Whitmore via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am about ready to start trying to repair some water-spotted, worn and
> dried out wood in our 1994 C&C 37/40+.  Does anyone know what type
> of varnish, lacquer or other treatment was used originally by C&C to finish
> the interior woodwork?  I'm talking vertical surfaces, the nav table, etc.,
> and I'd really like to match the interior look it had when it came out of
> the showroom so I don't have to refinish every square inch.
>
> What should I use to remove the existing coating (if I should remove it at
> all), and what would you recommend for a new coating?
>
> I've used lemon oil before, but it seems to turn the wood dark over time.
>
> I'm thinking Danish Oil, but I really don't know enough to make an
> informed decision.
>
> Thanks for the insights!
>
> Bruce Whitmore
> (847) 404-5092 (mobile)