Hi James,

I have a 34/36 and I did replace the sensor twice.. Once with the mast off
and once "in-situ"/

My mast did have a conduit and I used the old wire as a messenger line as
mentioned before.  Really straightforward / no issues.

The harder part is that I had to fabricate a custom aluminum bracket to
accommodate the new sensor and mount it solidly.  I was glad I had the mast
off as it took a lot of measuring / fitting / trimming to make sure that
the bracket was as long / wide as possible to spread the load / fit in the
mounting holes  / not interfere with the halyards and sheaves / VHF antenna
mount / tricolor.

Also, while the mast was off I did a fair amount of cleanup  / refreshed
the spreader boots / replaced deck light bulbs / etc.

Long story short it was 80 bucks more than well spent to take the mast down
/ get it all done right  / clean, lube, easily service everything I could
while it was down.

The 2nd time I replaced it (It appeared to have been nailed by lightning
surge).  That was "in-situ" but then all the hard stuff was already done it
was plug and play.

My 2 cents.

-Francois Rivard
1990 34+ "Take Five"
Lake Lanier, GA

34-36R with a pretty skinny tall mast?anybody have any experience upgrading
the wind sensor and VHF while the mast is in-place?  I need to know if
there?s a conduit running and what to expect as I may be the person scaling
the mast and I want to make the least number of trips to the top?

And?if somebody?s done this, what where the learning moments?

Thanks.

James. Bibb

SV Darwin?s Folly
C&C 34-36R