All,

Last year my engine shut down 2 times and have concluded I need to clean out
the diesel tank.  I had very old fuel [3+ years] in the tank after several
years of very low usage and topping up the tank prior to winter storage
which was the cause of the 1st shut down.  Most of that fuel was removed,
but had a 2nd shutdown which am assuming was due to “crud” blocking the
pickup.  The Racor was completely blocked the 1st time, but was completely
clear the 2nd time, and the engine started right up after being off for 12
hours.  Do not think fuel polishing alone would be sufficient.  The tank is
20 yo.

I know tank cleaning has come up on the list in past years and recall some
steam cleaned &/or pressure washed the tank interior.  I do not want to
introduce water into the tank – do not have sufficient time to drain and dry
the tank adequately prior to launch.  Nor the ability to readily do that.

Have read people used clean diesel as a “solvent” to clean the interior but
am wondering if that would really be sufficient.  Have also read of using
MEK to break down / dissolve deposits in the tank.  At this point there is
about 5 gal of diesel in a 20 gal tank, a portion of which could be used to
slosh around /agitate within the tank, but again am unsure if diesel alone
would be sufficient.

Any suggestions on how to “quickly and easily” clean a diesel tank?

There is a 4” inspection port, but it is screwed in place with self-tapping
screws [per the manufacturer] which use a drive shape I am not familiar with
– a square with small lines radiating out from each corner – sort of a cross
between a Robertson and a Phillips.  So am hesitant to remove that plate as
a) do not want to strip / round out the screw heads, and b) do not know what
type of sealant to use to close it up upon conclusion.  Was thinking I could
use the pickup  or return openings to remove most of the fuel with a manual
extraction pump [same as I use for oil changes], and possibly the 1 ½” fill
fitting as a way to drain out most if not all of any crud / water that may
be in the tank.  I can remove the tank from the boat fairly easily so can
flip it over to drain out through the fill fitting.  Would also check for a
screen on the pickup.

Thanks

Brian