From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Rick Brass
via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 11:06 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Rick Brass
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Stus-List LED cabin lighting - Now Strobe Lights

Bill;

Rule 20 (both inshore and international) forbids displaying a light that could
be confused with a light that is specified by the rules. So a strobe light that
is white, blue, or yellow that flashes at 120 pulses per minute or more, or a
yellow one flashing slowly, would not be legal. All these variants are
specified nav lights for stuff like law enforcement, barges, tow vessels,
seaplanes, WIGs or submarines.

Rule 36 in the international rules says you can make any light signal that
cannot be confused with a navigation light, nor “embarrasses” another vessel,
if you need to attract the attention of another vessel. But the rule prohibits
the use of high intensity revolving lights or strobes.

Rule 36 on the inshore rules allows you to make any light signal to attract
attention (with the same restrictions as international), but does not have the
prohibition for revolving lights and strobes.

So if you are using your boat inside the Colregs line in US waters, a red or
green strobe would be OK. If you are in Canada or outside the Colregs line in
the US, No.

Someone else said the strobe would be a distress signal. Not So. It is not on
the list of distress signals listed in the Colregs. There is a flashing light
that the USCG has approved as a distress signal, but it flashes SOS in Morse
code. There are also a range of spotlights that have an SOS flash mode, which
would be legal under rules 20 and 36 since they cannot be confused with a
navigation light. I do not believe that the flashing distress signal has been
approved under SOLAS, so it might be questionable in international waters but
you could make a case for it under rule 36.

And, of course, you could base your argument for using a strobe under rule 2,
which requires you to do everything possible to avoid a collision… including
violate the other rules of the Colregs.

Bottom line is that in most cases the strobe isn’t strictly legal, but I doubt
that the USCG would write you a ticket or fail you on a safety inspection if
you have one on the boat and don’t turn it on.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC