Wade,

A quick primer on sail measurements.  A #1 sail varies from boat to boat.
Typically it is a boat's largest headsail.  When I purchased my 35-1, it
had a 170% genoa (more on that below).  That was the #1.

After a race or two, I retired the 170 in favor of a 155% headsail.  That
became my new #1.  My #2 is a 125% and my #3 is a 95%.

It's somewhat more descriptive to state the size of a headsail in terms of
percent.  However, that, too, depends on the boat.

The percentage loosely measures the area of the sail in reference to a
boat's foretriangle.  It is calculated by dividing the sail's LP
measurement by the J dimension of the boat.

LP is the perpendicular measurement from the luff to the clew.  I usually
determine it by laying out the sail, holding the end of a measuring tape at
the clew then swinging the tape across the luff of the sail to find the
minimum distance.

The percent is then LP/J * 100.

So, a 100% headsail would just reach the forward edge of the mast.  A 90%
headsail would fall short of the mast.  A 150% headsail would extend 50% of
the way aft of the mast in relation to the foretriangle.

I occasionally list a sail on eBay.  I list the luff, foot, leech and LP
dimensions.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA