We towed our 10' dinghy home when we bought Spirit, an '84 35 MkIII. Started
past Pickering on Lake Ontario and ended at Bayfield, halfway up Lake Huron.
The total trip including the canal was about 900 km. The only time we had to
hoist it aboard was to transit the Welland Canal.

We looped a dockline with a snubber from the aft port cleat to the aft
starboard cleat for some shock absorption, then ran the tow line to the bow
hook on the fibreglass bottom of the dink. We adjusted it to ride the first
wave astern, and it towed like a champ. Last year when we visited the North
Channel, the Admiral filled it with pretty rocks - probably a few hundred
pounds of Canadian Shield - and it towed even better. There is a cost,
however. Under sail, we estimated we gave up two knots of boat speed due to
the drag.

Jason Ainslie, Spirit

1984 C&C 35-3

Bayfield, ON