A friend with a scientific background offered up an explanation of what 'might' have happened to my radar reflector.

He said "Did you ever put a plastic container that had a bit of metal left behind from the safety seal on its top edge in the microwave oven and hit 'Start'.  A small piece of metal will make a big bang accompanied by a flash of fire.  Radar waves and microwaves can be in the same gigahertz frequency range.  Maybe your reflector got hit by high power radar gigahertz waves from another vessel and exploded the same as that small piece of metal in a microwave oven."

The most logical explanation I have heard ......and there was a large commercial vessel leaving the harbor when it exploded.....FYI

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 -84
Halifax, N.S.