Hi,

The thermostat on the raw water cooled Yanmar 3QM30H has always been a bit of a
mystery on the use of one thermostat or  two thermostats. While there appears
to be two thermostat holes in the housing, the service manual shows a diagram
of only one thermostat and the discussion is in regards to always "a
thermostat". The Yanmar 3QM30 parts manual also lists a quantity of 1 for the
thermostat (105582-49200).  My engine came with one thermostat, so when I
rebuilt the engine, I put in one thermostat and it has been working fine.  I
wished I took better detailed photos of the thermostat housing, because I
recall convincing myself that based on the housing, a second thermostat would
would do absolutely nothing.

Note for the raw water cooled engine, there is only one thermostat from Yanmar
that fits so you can’t screw up and mix thermostats of different temperature
settings.  Early 3QM30 were converted to fresh water using the Sen-Dure fresh
water heat exchange kit.  With the Sen-Dure kit, the engine used the same
thermostat, but one replaced the temp sender.   The engine ran hotter because
the heat exchanger was not as optimal in cooling water as exchanging hot for
cold raw water.  But since the thermostat opened at lower temperature, the
engine was not as efficient in coming up to the hotter operating temperature.
Later Yanmar came out with the fresh water cooled 3QM30F using Yanmar’s own
heat exchanger.  The 3QM30F uses a different and physical bigger and hotter
thermostat which is mounted on the Yanmar heat exchanger and get rid of the old
one which was mounted on top of the exhaust manifold.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose