From: Ken Heaton via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Ken Heaton <kenhea...@gmail.com>; Francois Rivard
<jeanfrancoisriv...@gmail.com>; tom hoffmann <thomasahoffm...@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wed, May 30, 2018 4:55 am
Subject: Re: Stus-List 34+ / 37+ Layup schedule

And the Construction Drawings for the 37/40 Series, showing the layup schedule
for 1990, and layup details, etc are online here:
https://c-c-37-40.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Ken H.

On 29 May 2018 at 16:39, Francois Rivard via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Below is what I know about the layup schedule on the 34 / 37 + boats. I got
this off a forum somewhere (Not this one) a few years ago.

Topsides (total thickness 1.19")
1. Gelcoat
2. 1.5 oz. Chop
3. 1.5 oz. Mat
4. C72K/100 Kevlar Fabmat
5. 1” Balsa Core
6. C72K/100 Kevlar Fabmat

Bottom (total thickness 1.23")
1. Gelcoat
2. 1.5 oz. Chop
3. 1.5 oz. Mat
4. C77K/200 Kevlar Fabmat
5. 1” Balsa Core
6. C72K/100 Kevlar Fabmat

Tuck area at turn of bilge to keel sump two (2) additional layers of C77K/200
Kevlar Fabmat are added to the interior layer of the bottom schedule for a
total thickness of 1.39"  Keel sump has Balsa replaced by two (2) layers of
Compositex.

DuPont Aramat C72K/200 seems to have been an E-glass/Kevlar hybrid weave.  The
following is all I could find out about the stuff on the web:

Composition of the glass/Kevlar hybrid, DuPont's Aramat 72K/200:

Component    G/SQ.M    OZ/SQ.YD      Wt. % in Base Fabric         Wt. % inTotal
Fabric
Glass Fiber     245.6       7.2                 63
        41.1
Kevlar 49        144.0       4.2                 37
         24.0
Mat Backing    200.0       5.9                 --
        33.5
Stitching Yarn     8.0       0.2                 --
            1.4
Total               597.6     17.5

Hydrex is a trade name for a product line from Reichhold Chemicals. The
original product was a VE/DCPD blend resin that offered the blister resistance
of VE resin, but with the tensile elongation or 2.4 which is comparable to a
good GP. The added DCPD allowed the resin to be promoted at the manufacturer
rather than the shop floor. It was a very good resin, but not one which would
have been ideal for an aramid laminate.

Hydrex 100 is a full VE resin with tensile elongation of 3.4%. Many VE resins
have an unstable gel time and need to be promoted at the shop to insure that it
does not drift out of range. Reichhold improved the stability of the resin so
that they could still promote at the manufacturer and get stable gel times and
cure rates. They now offer lower styrene versions as well.

There is some description of the layup on the 34+ here as well:
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/reviews/review34-36.htm

I hope this helps.

Jean-Francois Rivard
1990 34+ "Take Five"