David,

you can use some bleach to try and lighten them. if its spots, you just kind of wet it on the spot let it sit and then rinse thoroughly with a spray bottle and rags.

I used watco danish finish on my boat down below.  I used a palm sander, went over it once with 320 grit then again with 420 grit immediately following, the wood came back brighter, smooth and with a nice luster.  You let that sit for about a week and then just add the watco wax as a protectant.  The idea with the watco is to get it to develop a slurry with the sanding dust, this penetrates down into the grains and then hardens to seal and protect the wood and give it a harder finish.  It will also bead water, (don't ask how I know that...) even before you add the wax.

Danny