Dave;

I suspect that you've identified the cause in your comment below. Shock
my copy of the International Marine Dictionary a "jibe" is a sudden or
uncontrolled shifting of the boom from side to side due to steering error or
sudden wind shift.) can pull the sheet out of a pretty stout cam cleat. Been
there, done that.

My setup has a Garhauer fiddle block on the traveler (with the cam cleat
jaws pointed down so the mainsheet trimmer has an easy and natural motion of
lifting the line to cleat it - and can step on the line to release under
heavy load). When gybing the normal practice is to pull the boom in near
center and then release and ease the sheet out to proper trim as we finish
the gybe.

When single handing, I can pull the sheet in from the helm before the turn
and ease after settling on the new course. When racing, there is a mainsheet
trimmer to do the adjusting of mainsheet and traveler during the turn. Since
I've started doing this I can't recall a sheet pulling loose unexpectedly.

BTW, I have a 3:1 arrangement on the end of the mainsheet at my bridge deck
traveler, and 5:1 purchase for the Garhauer traveler.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC