Last Wednesday a storm blew through Ontario also. I was not sure if RC would
start a race but a
few boats showed up so the set a 1.8 mile leg once around. I knew the wind was
up, sustained over
20 kts so went out with a 90% blade and full main. After a couple of gusts we
reefed the main.

It hit 42 kts upwind but balance was OK. Boat windage is pretty high and even
with only 3 miles fetch
the waves were surprisingly hard so we angled off a bit to not pound so much.
We average around
5.4 kts upwind ( not VMG ) which surprised me. Tacking was an art, needed to
bow down slightly to
get 6 knots before coming up.

Downwind was harder, had to run wider angles to depower the main. I think if it
was possible to drop
it we would have and run the jib only. Top speed when a square wave caught us
and pushed was 10.9 kts,
think that was the fastest I have seen Windburn go.

We corrected over the bigger boats that had a much faster downwind, including a
Bene 36.7, J/105 and J/35.
The only boat that is similar to us is a C&C 3/4 ton ( race version of the 33 )
which we beat by over an hour level.

Two waves, or maybe spray, got lifted so much they blew over the boat without
soaking us. I have no idea what
the winds got to because during the 42+ knot gust the end of the MHU blew off.
When the wind lifts the spray
off the waves it is usually above 45 knots as a guess.

For most boats docking was just as exciting.

http://www.thenyc.com/display-race/NWIyOTQwMTk2YWZjZjkuNTY5NTQ5MjA0NDc,/

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 10:49:18 -0600
From: Randy Stafford <randal.staff...@icloud.com>

+1.  Changed to Progressive from BoatUS this year because BoatUS prices kept
going up and their coverages kept going down.

On the survey question, I remember doing a ?self survey? for BoatUS, and also
sending them the professional pre-purchase survey I had done on my boat.  For
Progressive, I also sent the pre-purchase survey.  I haven?t had the boat for
five years yet, so I don?t know if I?ll get pestered.  My yacht club requires
proof of insurance for racing, but I don?t think my marina does for slippage.

Incidentally, last Wednesday night I had the wildest race on Grenadine since
buying her.  Wind jumped from 10mph to 35mph in the snap of a finger, a few
minutes after the start.  Outflow from a big storm cell to the southeast, I
think.  I had my drifter (150% lightweight genoa) and full main up for the
10mph conditions.  We could see the puff on the water but couldn?t tell how
strong it was until we got in it - we were one of the first boats to get in it.
 Rounded up hard four times, buried the side deck to the cabintop window, and
tore the clew cringle out of the drifter before I could even think to change
headsails.  Managed to maintain position in the race under main alone while we
switched to the 130.  Then had an accidental gybe and the boom knocked a
crewman into the cabin (lesson: don?t sail wing and wing in that strong of
wind).  Still finished second despite the chaos.  Sail is already fixed,
crewman has recovered.  No lasting damage, some lessons learned, and the 30-1
prov
 d her stiffness again.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford