and that leads me more to believe the manual I saw.  The lower attaches to
the spreader base in the forward part of the spreader.  Putting it on the
rearmost position on the chainplate essentially has it crossing the other
two shrouds. However it's not apparent because it's coming in at an angle.
But it seems wrong that the lower would cross behind the the cap and
intermediate.  The cap is clearly more aft at it's attachment point to the
mast than the lower.