I'll second using Epiphanes Varnish. I built up mine with the following: a coat
or two of Pettit Clear Sealer (you can hot coat it), then build with Epiphanes
Wood Finish Gloss, which can be applied without sanding between coats up to
three days apart. After about 6 coats I let it dry for a week and give it a
good sanding to smooth over the grain. Then I use regular Epiphanes Gloss for a
few more coats. I give a quick scuff with a green scotchbrite pad between
coats. I wipe down with a damp cloth, then one dampened with alcohol, then a
good wipe with a tack rag. If you want a satin finish, the last coat can be
Epiphanes rubbed effect, which is very easy to work with. I always finish with
Gloss, though, as it wears better.
I checked with some of my West Indian friends, who are varnish experts, to see
if they go for anything different these days but got the same answer.

Andy
Formerly C&C 40
Peregrine

Andrew Burton