We have been trying to figure out how to tie off at mid-ship using the
gunwale steel angle as well.

Our relatively inexpensive solution has been working well for us this
season.

We purchased 4 sets of 24” long non-stretch UV protected line, tied a
stopper knot with the two loose ends creating a loop, and put the loop
section through the space in the gunwale steel angle near mid-ship.  We
then inserted a stainless steel thimble and whipped the remaining section
of the loop to keep the SS thimble in place.   We put two on each side (one
for a forward spring, and one for an aft spring). Total assembly was
between $10 and $20 for all four connection points.

So far, we have not had it get stuck on rigging or the dock, and has been a
great solution for docks that have cleats at the beginning and end.

We had also purchased long breast lines which go from the boat to the cleat
at the dock, form a loop through these small loops noted above, and back to
the cleat on the dock.  Double Feature is that we can easily tie the
bowline to the stern line if single-handing the boat.  The downside to this
arrangement is that you don't have a spring line at mid ship if you need it
to stop the boat while docking (unless you add an extra temporary line or
tie bow/stern lines together).

Link to Photos:
https://poopdeck.smugmug.com/General-Sharing-Folder/CC-List-Toe-Rail-Tie-Off-Emailed-June-29-2018/n-ZBZRTG

Cheers,