The clicking sound is the solenoid.  It means that the push button is
working, but the contacts on the solenoid may be bad.  You can easily check
the push button switch by shorting it out with a screw driver.   You can
check the starter, with the switch on, by shorting out the solenoid.

I recently replaced the push button and the key switch on my boat with an
automotive style key switch.  The push button didn't always work until I
pushed it several times.  Now I just turn the key to on, and turn it a
little more to start the engine.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC