Tom,

The original Yanmar mounts have a fatal flaw in that if the rubber degrades
it can tear and leave the engine un mounted.  Some race regulations
actually require wire or chain ties to restrain the top and bottom parts
should the rubber fail.  PYI makes a replacement mount which is positively
captured so that even if the rubber breaks down the mount can't separate.
The leading cause of the rubber to fail is fuel saturation.  The PYI mounts
are designed with a metal shroud to shield the rubber.

I ran into Yanmar mounts that were soft enough that the thrust of the prop
drove the engine forward.  There was enough movement that it opened up the
dripless shaft seal.  Granted the seal was old and needed tightened or
replaced but it was still quite telling to see the fountain of water.  I
would guess that the engine was shifting about 1/2".  PYI calls the Yanmar
mounts "marshmallow mounts" and they are designed as such to minimize noise
and vibration.  I can't sat that I'm upset by the noise and vibration of
the PYI mounts.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+