I also agree that it could be corrosion with one of the start battery cables.
But I also had a problem as described, and in my case, it was the starting
switch/button which was failing.  I replaced it with a cheap SeaDog switch
which conveniently stocked locally.  The SeaDog switch started exhibiting the
same problem within 6 months.  I replaced the switch with a better quality Cole
Hearse switch and have been problem free for years.

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C 38 Landfall
S/V Johanna Rose