Very sad story to read.  I ran aground last year in a very familiar harbor race
as I was concentrating on rounding the mark which drifted too close to shore.
I was very lucky as I ran up an over a sand-bar and was able to get off quickly
on a lee-shore with the time running out quickly.

I know it will happen again as I almost ran up on a reef last summer on a race
condition…watched the reef for hours and mis-judged the current and was able to
fire up the engines at the last moment.  If the engine did not fire up, I would
have been hard-aground.  I made a skipper error in both situations simply by
not being prudent.  Learned a lot and swear I will not make the same mistake
but I know I will at some point or at least there will be the risk.

Again, very sad news.  I wish you all the best.

James Bibb

C&C 34/36R Darwin’s Folly
Juneau, AK.