Let's start with,"where the heck is the mast and the engine?"  And move on
to winches, sails, and pretty much anything of value.

When I bought my first C&C in Rhode Island, it was in a modest boat yard
right next to Young America, the 1995 America's Cup defender (unsuccessful).
This was the boat with the Roy Lichtenstein mermaid painting on the hull.
Being an impressionable sailor and a huge America's Cup fanatic, I was blown
away to see every bit of deck hardware and parts that weren't a molded part
of the hull or deck, completely stripped off the boat.  What a tragedy, I
thought!  Why doesn't somebody preserve this boat as a piece of history?  As
it turns out, the boat was worth more as an art work than as a boat and it
is currently sitting in an outdoor art museum up in the Catskill Mountains
in NY, no keel, not a lick of boat stuff attached.

For someone growing up thinking the America's Cup was the coolest
competition on the planet, seeing a boat in that condition was as if
somebody was to take James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 and rip out the engine
and paint it dayglo orange.

At the same time, some boats with serious pedigrees of success have
survived, witness Intrepid, Courageous, Dorade, Gypsy Moth IV and others.  I
wonder what ever happened to Evergreen and Red Jacket?

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic

1983 35 Landfall

Padanaram, MA