C&C 30-1

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 18:07:44 +0000
From: "Della Barba, Joe" <joe.della.ba...@ssa.gov>

I am still not clear on how the voltage is being measured and between what
points.
I have bronze thru-hulls that are not wired to anything. If I measured between
them and the lead keel or the engine with the stainless shaft, I am sure I
would read a voltage, they are dissimilar metals in salt water. Absent me
wiring up the voltmeter, the thru-hulls have no connection to anything else and
would not corrode. If you do have all these thru-hulls wired to ground, as is
done on some boats, you now have a battery. You need to be sure there is a zinc
involved in there somewhere and it had better have a good connection so that
the zinc is the part of the battery corroding.
IMHO and also the article referenced in another post, I like to make sure my
seacocks and thru-hulls are NOT grounded. This eliminates the issue of poor
contact to zincs and prevents the boat wiring from being a path for leakage
between boats on one side of you and boats on the other, which is something a
zinc will have a hard time saving you from.
Joe
Coquina