I agree with Gary, chances are the stainless bolts are “welded” to the
aluminum due to galvanic corrosion. This was the case for my quadrant, two
bolts came out with a lot of  gentle persuasion, but the other two snapped
off and had to be carefully drilled out of the aluminum. Maybe Josh’s
quadrant was previously removed or maybe he is not in salt water? Once I got
the holes drilled out, I drilled them straight through and bolted through
with longer bolts and nylon lock nuts. Also used tef-gel to prevent further
corrosion. The rudder weighs at least 100lbs. If your rudder post  is like
mine, there is a ½” threaded hole in the top; I threaded in a long ½” rod,
ran it through a piece of hardwood, installed washers and nuts to lower and
later raise the rudder into place.

Mike Amirault

C&C33ii  Lovely Cruise

SMSC