Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, some of which were off-list.

Responding to points in the order received:

1. "Is it safe to sate that the main mast damage is from the screws ripping out
of the mast itself?”
The main mast damage IMO is the indentation from the aft edge of the spreader
bracket plate.  The screw holes are also damaged, but fixable.

2. "From the pictures it seems that the mast was horizontal on the transport
trailer and the spreader took a shot that pushed it back, parallel to the
direction of the mast?”
The mast is horizontal on a set of custom sawhorses I fab’d - the top pieces
are scalloped per the cross-section of the mast.  While the rig was still up
and the boat was being towed forward, the starboard spreader took a shot from
some tree branches which twisted it aft.

3. "I think you need to have a conversation with the yard about the damage.”
There was no yard involved.  The boat was being towed by my good buddy on my
crew (the same guy who fab’d my new teak handrails and drink holders), and
hitting the trees on the way to the gin pole was an accident.  I was there in
another car, and saw all the tree trimmings, but I didn’t notice the damage
when we dropped the mast.  I only noticed it later when removing the spreaders
to tidy up the mast storage for the offseason.

4. "You could take it [the bracket] to a metal shop and have them straighten it
or make a new one. Up to you.  To straighten the tube part …"
A side-by-side comparison with the port bracket (newly uploaded IMG_0240.jpg at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FI3QhFi82jrSOzQtpJ-9Z54XK3lHvlIr
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FI3QhFi82jrSOzQtpJ-9Z54XK3lHvlIr>) suggests
the tube part isn’t straight.  More likely the backing plate is warped, making
the tube look bent aft.

5. "You did not send any photos of the spreader.  Was it bent or weakened?”
The spreader itself is 1 5/8” OD thick-wall aluminum tube, and was not bent or
weakened in the incident.  See newly-uploaded IMG_0243.jpg and IMG_0245.jpg at
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FI3QhFi82jrSOzQtpJ-9Z54XK3lHvlIr
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FI3QhFi82jrSOzQtpJ-9Z54XK3lHvlIr>.

Based on input received, I think I will go the following route:
* repair the screw holes in the mast - flatten by pounding / grinding, then
drill larger and re-tap
* fab a reinforcement plate to fasten between mast and spreader bracket, and
shorten spreader accordingly
* straighten the bracket (or fab a new one) and fasten to the reinforcement
plate and mast
* proceed with painting plans
* not file an insurance claim

Fortunately I have a nice long offseason, as my lake closed 1.5 months early
this year, and will open one month late next year, due to reservoir expansion
and related reconstruction (https://chatfieldreallocation.org
<https://chatfieldreallocation.org/>).  The good news is next spring we’ll have
a brand-spanking-new marina facility!  So I want Grenadine to be looking sharp
:)  Meanwhile I’ll occupy myself with ocean sailing - going to Catalina the
next two weekends in a row, and probably the Virgins in the spring.

The other good news is that my rebuilt mast step supports are solid as rock
after two seasons.  Removed the step and inspected them yesterday.  This season
in particular we had some strong winds that I’m sure stressed the rig.  Twice I
tore a headsail when the wind suddenly jumped from 10 to 35 mph, and another
time I was caught in 48 mph under main only.  Partway through the season I
noticed slack in the backstay and wondered if the step had settled, but no sign
of that, even after cranking up the backstay tension from time to time.  I’d
set the rake at the start of the season but never re-checked it.

Thanks again for all your input.  I don’t know what I would do without this
mail list.

Cheers,
Randy