When I took mine apat, I don't remember whether they were glued (I don't
think so), but they came apart pretty easily. I found the stairs too steep,
so I split the sides down the middle, added a piece of 1 x 6 teak in
between them, glued the pieces together using biscuits, and extended the
dados through the piece that I added. It's now a lot more comfortable going
up and down the stairs. I finished the stairs with Watco teak oil, and
added Treadmaster to make the steps less slippery.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR