With all due respect to Alan’s suggestion, please don’t use chain lube on the
chain and cables.  Chain lube is designed as lubricant for chains travelling at
high speed on a motorcycle or bicycle and are specially designed to stick to
the chain and not get flung off when moving quickly.  The chain and cable on
your boat moves very slowly.  Chain lube  is sticky messy stuff and spraying
inside your pedestal will get lube all over everything including the brake
shoes.  So once the brake shoes are contaminated with lubricant, you can forget
about the brake holding the wheel in place.  Also dirt and other contamination
will stick to chain lube with amazing tenacity.

So, the proper method of lubricating the chain is to put some 30 weight oil on
a rag and lightly apply the rag to the chain as you move the wheel back and
forth.  Do the same on the cables, only this time, apply the oil to some tissue
(Kleenex or similar) and run the tissue down the length of the cable.  If
pieces of tissue remain on the cable, it is a good place to look for breaks in
the cable strands that are the start of the dreaded cable meathooks (ie
friction induced wear).  Replace the cables if any  meat hooks are detected.

I’m suggesting these methods because I worked on the customer service phone
lines at Edson for about 10 years and those are the manufacturer’s recommended
methods of lubing the chain and cable.  A much more likely candidate for the
pedestal “squeak” are the sheaves that sit at the base of the pedestal.  If
there are bronze axles on the sheaves, it is time to replace those with
stainless sheave pins as they’re probably worn if they don’t receive periodic
lubrication (again, 30 weight motor oil).  Even if there are stainless axles,
it’s a good idea to check for cable orientation between the sheaves and the
radial wheel.  Look for sharp edges on the grooves of the sheaves which
indicate wear and friction due to misalignment.  Finally, check the idler plate
itself for excessive corrosion.  If heavily rusted, that plate can actually
flex and cause the sheaves to move back and forth under load.

If this needs validation, check a publication called the Planning Installation
and Maintenance Guide found on Edson Marine’s website.
https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

Good luck!

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic