As far as the water heater goes, a by-pass is a great addition (about $30, if
you buy one, make sure you buy the one with two valves!).

Pouring AF into the water heater is not a good idea – the taste and smell would
stay almost forever, and you need a lot to saturate the heater tank with AF (it
is not a simple case of displacing water). Instead, drain the water heater. I
push most of the water from the WH using compressed air, the rest has to drain.
Btw. be prepared that the last few cups of water would be dirty with sediment
(you will have some sediment in the WH, almost regardless how clean it is), so
you may not want to drain directly into the bilge.

If there is a little bit of water in the WH tank, it should not be a problem –
it would have enough room to expand as it freezes.

If you want to be extra careful about all your fresh water system, you can push
(or suck) the water from all lines, then run AF through the lines, and then
push the AF out of the lines. this way, even if there are any low spots, you
will have remnants of the AF in the lines, not water, but most of the lines
would be free of AF, so there would be very little aftertaste.

The same applies, more or less, to the fresh water side of the engine cooling.
Run AF through the system until what comes out is no longer diluted, but push
the AF out of the system after that. This helps with any seals, plastic
components (e.g. strainer) etc.

For pumping the AF through the system, buy an extra pump port (e.g.: Shurflo
244-2926), add a half meter hose, unscrew the original pump port, attach this
one, put the hose into the AF jug, and run the pump. Very simple process and it
winterises the pump in the process.

Marek

1994 C270 Legato
Ottawa, ON