I use Amsoil products for all my engines.  The boat gets 15w40 heavy
duty/marine diesel oil.  It had a high TBN of 12.  As the acids accumulate
in the oil the TBN will diminish towards 0.  I send oil samples for
analysis.  Typically in high compression engines which accumulate a lot of
soot/exhaust in the oil, the TBN is the limiting factor as to when the oil
is exhausted.

It's cool to trend oil properties over time and be able to understand the
changes and what they mean about engine health.  Kinda like a blood test
for your engine.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+