Stu has an article linked on the front page of the Photo Album: Surrette
Battery Co. Ltd. Bulletin #506 - Winter Storage

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/batteries/batteries.htm

Batteries stored below 59 F. self discharge *very* slowly, the colder the
storage temperature, the slower.  Start with them fully charged and
everything shut off and better yet a cable disconnected.

Ken H.