Hi Charlie,

Sorry you have a leak. I believe you have a very unique centerboard version of
the 34/36plus. I don't know if they ever made another.

Anyway, can you see where the leak is coming from? Was the keel to hull joint
showing when it was last on the hard?

I would wait until the boat is on the hard to tighten keel bolts. I would want
the weight of the keel supported and the weight of the hull resting properly on
the keel, so gravity is your friend, compressing the joint for you. I wouldn't
touch the system while in the water because in that state, gravity is trying to
pull the 5000# keel off and if you snap a bolt, you may create a problem rather
than solve one.

Wild idea: Maybe take the boat to a dock that is deep at high tide, but when
the tide goes out, the keel is aground, so you could use the mud to support the
keel and tighten the keel bolts during the low tide with some hull weight
pressing down on the joint. Fix the leak and float off on the high tide.

If that doesn't fix the leak, I would try and schedule a short haulout to block
the keel only, tighten the bolts you can get to and relaunch to see if that
fixed the leak. If it doesn't, pull the mast so you can tighten those bolts,
relaunch to see if that fixes the leak. If it doesn't, haul the boat again and
drop the keel to reseal the joint.

Be sure the boatyard catches the keel properly with large blocks positioned
under the keel and no further aft than the end of the joint. Since our keels
sweep back, don't let them block it further back where it could cause extra
leverage and actually open the smile up front. And don't let them support the
boat from the end of the bulb or wings. I've seen keels supported too far back
when it's easy to do it properly. The stands are meant to support 10% of the
weight so 90% is on the keel. I also like to see it level and plumb to best
support everything.

Chuck, Resolute, 1990 C&C 34R