Hi Patrick,I installed a belowdecks autopilot on Pegasus. Contact Kyle as he
now has Pegasus there in Shilshole. Maybe he'll let you look at the way I
installed it. Good luckDoug. Doug Mountjoy Sv Rebecca Leah LH39Port Orchard YC
wa.
-------- Original message --------From: Patrick Davin via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Date: 3/3/19  19:40  (GMT-08:00) To:
cnc-list@cnc-list.com Cc: Patrick Davin <jda...@gmail.com> Subject: Stus-List
Autopilot tiller arm on LF38 *without* bolting to quadrant? I know there was a
thread about below-decks autopilots on the Landfall 38 where discussion ended
up on "bolt it to the radial drive, reinforcing the attachment point." (
http://cnc-list.com/pipermail/cnc-list_cnc-list.com/2018-May/200838.html )I'm
researching this now, with interest in installing a Raymarine EV-200 with type
1 mechanical linear drive, and I think it *might* be possible to do without
bolting to the radial drive. Does anyone know if any LF38 has successfully done
this?  I've already read dreuge's post -
http://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2016/12/below-deck-autopilot.html - which is
excellent. But he went a different route than I want to go, so it would be
helpful to see other photos and installation ideas. The reason I want to avoid
bolting to the radial drive is that Edson has repeatedly advised against it,
calling it a "likely catastrophic failure" and saying the cast aluminum fixture
is not designed for those kind of torsional forces, it's designed for pulling
forces (via the cables). A Type 1 ram has 650 lbs peak thrust and a type 2 has
1050 lbs. Additionally I have found one account of someone who had their Edson
radial explode (with autopilot mounted to it) - it took 15 years before this
happened, but still not a risk that's worth it in my mind. The ideas I'm
considering for doing this without mounting to the radial are: A) custom tiller
arm, with a 90 degree bend to clear the radial drive rim. It would clamp to the
rudder shaft in the 1.9" of available space (1.5" of that is within the bottom
concave part of the radial drive). Note I have no diesel tank under the
steering, which makes this easier. I don't have a design for this idea
though.B) Jefa 270 degree quadrant with integrated tiller arm.
https://www.jefa.com/steering/products/cable/quadrants/quadrants.htmI'm talking
to Jefa (part of PYI now) this week. The quadrant with welded on tiller arm has
less overall height than an Edson radial drive, so it would fit. But I'm not
sure about positioning of the linear drive unit - it's 27.5" long and the LF38
stern is quite narrow. Sorry for the long post. The motivation for a
below-decks autopilot is that the wheel pilot is not strong enough for
significant wave state (it's only rated for 16.5k lbs displacement, and the
LF38 is more like 19-20k when loaded for cruising).-Patrick1984 C&C LF38