I use a similar set up with a 4:1 block including a cam clear left over from my
old boat when I went from a topping lift to a Garhaur vang.  I have a
attachment point on the boom about 3’ from the end and a Johnson  bale on the
rail about 4’ ahead of the standing rigging.  It all goes on before the boom
goes out.

You can see a bit of the setup in this video https://flic.kr/p/R4eD5F

Tom Buscaglia
S/V Alera