I was a product safety lawyer for a number of years including autos and
industrial machinery such as power presses. The number one rule is to never let
the user be within a danger zone, for example hands should never be allowed
under the ram of a press even if the operator tried to do so.  By extension,
the boom should be high enough so that even on an uncontrolled jibe it should
clear the head of all onboard (rather than clear them of their head).
Moreover, the safety of a topping lift can be vastly enhanced with a rigid
Vang. The wind at the level of the boom is not very strong compared to the top
of the mast so if you are tall enough to be hit you are better off shortening
the sail and raising the boom and adding sail higher up with more roach.  Jerry

Sent from my iPhone