Check your local rules – some areas (ours for one) only allow the pole to be
extended out to the J measurement (forestay to mast). That may restrict you
from the optimum sail shape.

Gary

From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> On Behalf Of David Knecht via
CnC-List
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:42 PM
To: CnC CnC discussion list <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Cc: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Downwind sailing- Whisker pole length and height

We race non-spinnaker class and a few years ago I got an extendable whisker
pole for the genoa.  I am unsure about optimal settings for pole height and
length.   I suspect it is sometimes suboptimal because I have noticed some
boats able to carry the genoa poled out at much closer angles than I have
achieved.  Presumably the optimal pole angle is near perpendicular to the
apparent wind.  It seems that extending the pole flattens the sail to some
extent but I suspect it is more complicated than that.  Height I have no idea.
Any general rules of thumb?

 Related to this, the VMG chart I have from C&C  has optimal VMG downwind
apparent angle of about 140-145° true.  Are those numbers +spinnaker,
-spinnaker standard or -spinnaker wing on wing with whisker pole?  Thanks- Dave

S/V Aries

1990 C&C 34+

New London, CT