John,
Strength wise, you could even get by using 3/8”, but it may not grip in self
tailing winches and would seem small and hard to grip.  7/16” is what I use on
my 35 Landfall.  I avoid ropes with high modulus cores like Dyneema, Spectra,
and Vectran as they tend to make the rope stiffer and will hold a “set” when
wrapped around a winch.
FYI, R&W in New Bedford,MA is holding their Ropefest sale on April 27.  20% and
more off everything.  They stock New England, Novabraid, Marlow and Samson plus
a full service rigging shop.  They also have great deals on surplus ropes and
spool ends.
Chuck Gilchrest

Sent from my iPhone