Hi,

I understand that most, if not all, C&Cs use a keel-stepped mast, with the
theory being that it provides for a stiffer boat and better performance (I
think). Did they ever use deck-stepped, perhaps on the Landfall series? Has
anyone tried converting one to deck-stepped?

For cruising, especially in cold, wet climates, having a source of constant
water intrusion and heat loss doesn't seem ideal. I've seen some boats with
an insulated sleeve, but there's still the water intrusion problem (and a
big hole in your deck if you're dismasted).

I've also noticed that there isn't always a pattern in other brands as to
which models are keel-stepped or not - many boats that are not performance
oriented will have a keel-stepped mast (but most that aspire to racing do).
Some may say there is less to fail (beams, compression posts, etc.) but it
seems some keel-stepped designs also suffer from poor support designs below
the mast.

Some brands seem to have switched from deck to keel stepped at some point
(Ericson is one), but I don't know if this reflects a change in focus
toward performance, or if the designer just changed how he designed the
boats.

Anyway, just curious. Hope this isn't one of those "can of worms" topics...
:)

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com